INSTEP-WFU is committed to the safety of our students abroad. Active steps have been taken to provide students with a healthy and safe abroad experience.
Tips for Safe Travel
- • Practice situational awareness. Be aware of your surroundings, and be prepared to leave any public space you are visiting if you see signs of danger.
- • Know before you go. Learn about the places you will visit so you will be comfortable and knowledgeable about the surroundings and methods of travel.
- • Keep your cell phone fully charged, on and with you at all times. Respond immediately to any calls/texts from your program staff or study abroad advisor.
- • Review the communication plan and emergency procedures for your program.
- • Talk with your family about how often you will be in communication.
- • Travel with others you know and watch out for each other.
- • Plan ahead for weekend travel. You will be asked to upload your plans into an online form and you should also inform your resident director of your plans.
- • Carry important information with you, such as emergency contact cards, health insurance information, etc.
INSTEP-WFU Resident Staff
INSTEP-WFU London and Cambridge both have local, dedicated Resident Directors to aid students in all aspects of the program. The Resident Directors keep office hours and are on call out of office hours in case of a student emergency. Students may consult the resident staff on matters from course registration, accommodation, health issues and advice on traveling.
In addition to the preparatory materials provided by the student’s home university, INSTEP-WFU provides a series of online and mailed pre-departure materials. US based staff are available for any questions or concerns prior to departure for the United Kingdom.
Study Abroad Health Insurance
All students studying on INSTEP-WFU programs are required to have international health insurance through GeoBlue. Coverage is included in program fees and students will be automatically registered for this insurance. The dates of coverage are for the program dates ONLY, and coverage only applies while outside the United States. If travel is planned before or after the program dates, students should enquire about extended coverage. For more information, visit GeoBlue Member Guide and Policy.
All INSTEP-WFU students will be enrolled with Crisis 24, a risk management firm used by INSTEP-WFU. Students will download a smart phone app that can be used to obtain safety information about travel locations, to ‘check in’ in the event of a local emergency, or to contact help at any time in the event of a personal emergency. World Aware will also provide students with regular emails of any safety concerns for the local area.
Sexual Misconduct Abroad Information
While you begin learning about the host culture and features of your chosen study abroad program, it is also important to prepare for safety by addressing a variety of potentially problematic issues that may be faced abroad, including sexual misconduct. This Sexual Misconduct Abroad Document discusses the issue in depth. The purpose of this information on sexual misconduct is to raise awareness of the issues, highlight some of the ways in which entering another culture may increase vulnerability, and advise students on available resources.
Travel Warnings and Emergency Information